Annual Report to Parliament on the Administration of the Privacy Act 2017-2018
Privacy Act Designation Order
The Minister of National Defence, pursuant to Sections 73 of the Privacy Act hereby designates the person holding the position of Director General, Policy and Communications to exercise the powers and perform the duties and functions of the Minister as head of a government institution under the Act. The Director, Disclosure, Policy and Review, the Manager, Disclosure Management and the Supervisor, ATIP Office will exercise all powers and duties under the Act, with the notable exception of the public interest override provision under paragraph 8(2)(m). The Chief, CSEC and Director General, Policy and Communications have the joint authority to invoke this provision.
The Minister also designates the following:
- the person holding the position of Supervisor, Access to Information and Privacy, to perform the functions pursuant to the Privacy Act under:
- section 15 (extensions to legislative deadlines);
- subsection 8(2) (use and disclosure) with the exception of paragraph 8(2)(m) (disclosures in the public interest)
- the person holding the position of Supervisor, Access to Information and Privacy, to respond to requests made under the Privacy Act if no records exist.
- the person holding the position of Supervisor, Access to Information and Privacy, to respond to consultation requests from other government departments regarding documents they are processing under the Privacy Act.
This Designation Order comes into effect on 1 April 2013 and supersedes all previous designation orders.
Dated at Ottawa, Ont this 26th day of March 2013.
Original signed by:
Honourable Peter Mackay, P.C.,M.P.
Minister of National Defence