Certified Product: VMware vSphere 5.1 Update 1c
3401 Hillview Ave.
Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
VMware® vSphere 5.1 Update 1c (hereafter referred to as vSphere 5.1), from VMware, Inc., was the subject of a Common Criteria evaluation performed by the Common Criteria Evaluation Facility at CGI Information Systems and Management Consultants Inc. The evaluation was completed in February 2014.
The evaluation of vSphere 5.1 determined that this Information Technology (IT) product can be trusted, to Evaluation Assurance Level (EAL) 2 augmented with ALC_FLR.3, to conform to the requirements of the associated security target.
vSphere 5.1 is a virtualization solution that provides an environment for the hosting and management of virtual machines on industry standard x86-compatible hardware platforms. vSphere 5.1 comprises the components:
- ESXi, which is the virtualization layer that runs directly on industry standard x86-compatible hardware;
- vCenter Server, vCenter Server Appliance, with vCenter Inventory Service and vCenter Single Sign-On, that provides for central management of ESXi and the virtual machines running on ESXi;
- vCLI and PowerCLI allows administrators to run common administration tasks against ESXi or vCenter Server;
- vSphere Client and vSphere Web Client, that provide user interfaces to vCenter Server; and
- VMware Update Manager, that provides automated patch management of ESXi.
The scope of this evaluation is defined by the security target, which identifies assumptions made during the evaluation, the intended environment for the vSphere 5.1, the IT security requirements to be met, and the level of confidence (evaluation assurance level) to which it is asserted that the vSphere 5.1 satisfies its IT security requirements.
Consumers are advised to carefully review the certification report to gain an understanding of the security functionality, the evaluated configuration, and the intended operating environment for vSphere 5.1.
- Date modified: