Reference number: 48123-CSE(OC)2019 Closing Date: 2020-03-31
**The big picture**
CSE plays a critical role in the implementation of Canada’s cyber security strategy. To carry out our mission we track cyberthreats around the world, monitor Government of Canada networks to detect and mitigate cyberthreats, and protect information of value to the government. CSE’s data analysts/scientists play a crucial role in generating insight from data-rich environments.
*What’s in it for you?*
Are you interested in a unique working experience applying data analyst/science skills to a diverse variety of cyber defence problems? At CSE, data analysts and data scientists are motivated by an environment with:
- interesting and distinct problems to solve
- talented colleagues
- encouragement to approach problems from different perspectives
- continuous learning and development to maintain a technical edge
- opportunities to see the impact of their efforts
If the above description sounds attractive, you should consider CSE for a career in data analysis/science. Data analysts perform data review, data validation, quality control, and cleaning; they develop and evolve Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) processes and data models; they create data processing pipelines to analyze disparate multi-source data; they prepare technical documentation and standard operating procedures; and they ensure data requirements are met for operational reporting, dashboards and ad hoc requests.
Data scientists model real world problems to forecast what might happen; they apply and develop machine learning techniques, they implement algorithms in efficient and scalable ways; they communicate analytical results to others in compelling and visual ways; they help to develop scalable solutions; and they mentor others and help others to communicate and gain understanding about data science.
Position type: Term and indeterminate positions, with a one (1) year probation period.
UNI 07 level: $78,001 - $91,764
UNI 08 level: $83,250 - $97,942
These positions are currently eligible for a market allowance ranging from an additional $8,366 to $11,000.
- University degree with extensive statistical, computational coursework; for example, physics, math, engineering, economics, data science, computer science, bioinformatics, etc. (preference may be given to those with a graduate degree).
- Experience with extract, transform, load (ETL) activities including cleaning, transforming, and ingesting large, variegated and changing structured and unstructured data
- Experience working with databases and database management tools
- Experience scripting or programming in at least one open-source programming language (e.g. Python) or a statistical software package (e.g. R)
- Experience collaborating with management, software tool developers and software tool users
- Extensive (three years or more) background in software programming or scripting
- Experience in developing and applying computational algorithms and statistical methods to find patterns and model, and predict relationships in large, disparate and evolving data sets
- Experience in applying and improving machine learning techniques
- Experience conducting data analysis and creating compelling communications in visual, verbal and written forms
Who Can Apply
Canadian citizens who can qualify for a Top Secret security clearance conforming to CSE’s standards.
Candidates must have no criminal record.
The screening process involves a security interview, a polygraph test, a psychological assessment, and a background investigation covering a minimum of your last 10 years history, including credit and financial verifications.
How To Apply
Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their application how they meet each EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE criteria. Failure to do so will result in the applicant being screened out of the selection process.
CSE is a separate organization and is not subject to the Public Service Employment ACT (PSEA). The organization has its own values-based staffing regime and as such, has the flexibility to determine qualifications for positions and how these positions will be assessed in a selection process.
CSE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. CSEC offers an assessment process which will accommodate the needs of persons with disabilities. If you may need such accommodation, please advise us.
Candidates must be able to provide proof of education credentials.
A written test will be used as a screening tool.
An interview and references will follow for candidates who are successful on the screening test.
The entire selection process – tests, interviews, security investigation – may take more than one year.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.