Summer 2020 - Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Developer
The Communications Security Establishment Canada (CSE) is committed to hiring students through recognized educational programs in various universities and colleges across Canada in a variety of technical and administrative openings. If you are interested in working in a challenging role within a dynamic environment, make CSE your first choice!
Students at CSE have the opportunity to work on challenging and interesting projects related to their field of study. Collaboration and innovation are two values that are imbedded in CSE’s culture and these are directly reflected in the type of work assigned to students. CSE is also an evolving organization that offers developmental opportunities to students, which can potentially help them to be considered for future employment. In order to provide a great work-life balance, CSE has interesting alternative work arrangements to meet the student’s personal requirements.
CSE is Canada's National Cryptologic Agency. Our mandate is to:
- Acquire and provide foreign signals intelligence;
- Provide advice, guidance and services to help ensure the protection of Government of Canada electronic information and information infrastructures; and
- Provide technical and operational assistance to federal law enforcement and security agencies.
Summary of Duties:
CSE is looking for students to assist with the system development of CSE’s Geographic Information Systems (GIS) environment.
- Participate in development, configuring and supporting the corporate Geographic Information Systems.
- Design, develop, test, and implement web / software applications for the GIS environment.
- Perform imagery and geographic data processing.
- Provide support in geographic data management.
- Solid knowledge of design and operation of large-scale Geographic Information Systems and application development.
- Experience with the following is essential:
- Commercial GIS software (preferably with server-side experience)
- Linux and/or Window OS
- SQL and data management
- Concepts of spatial analysis and working with geographic data
- Open source GIS software & packages
- Intermediate experience in Python and/or Java
- Experience with the following would be an asset:
- Web and/or software application development
- Experience with Esri ArcGIS products, including Desktop and Server
- Data manipulation / ETL
- You should currently be in the 3rd or 4th year of a GIS/Geomatics/Geographic Science/Geography/Computer Science Bachelor program, or in a post-graduate diploma program of GIS/Geomatics/Geographic Science/Geography/Computer Science.
Student salaries are set by CSE and are based on students’ academic level and previously completed work terms. Rates are as follows: College (from $573.38 to $701.63), undergraduate (from $642.00 to $766.13) and post-graduate ($754.13 to $892.88) per week.
You must apply online by selecting "Apply" below.
On your cover letter, indicate which position you are interested in and what makes you a possible candidate for that position.
You must be registered as a full time student at your university or college.
Please note that applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
You must be a Canadian Citizen and eligible for a Top Secret security clearance.
The security screening process involves a security interview, a polygraph test, a psychological assessment, and a background investigation covering a minimum of your last 10 years history, including credit and financial verifications.
Ongoing substance abuse is a factor to be assessed as part of your screening process.
CSE is a government agency located in the Ottawa region. Relocation assistance will be provided to students studying at an accredited academic institution located outside the National Capital Region.
CSE supports the Employment Equity Act. We encourage candidates to apply if they belong to the following designated groups: women, visible minorities, persons of Aboriginal descent, or persons with disabilities. CSE offers an assessment process which will accommodate the needs of persons with disabilities. If you may need such accommodation, please advise us.
This job posting may be used to fill a number of positions.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.