Communications Security Establishment Canada
Canadian Common Criteria Evaluation and Certification Scheme
© Government of Canada, Communications Security Establishment Canada, 2009
|Date||11 September 2009|
Research In Motion Limited has submitted (via EWA-Canada) the Impact Analysis Report (IAR) for BlackBerry® Smartphone Versions 4.6.1 and 4.7.1, satisfying the requirements outlined in Version 1.0 of the Common Criteria document CCIMB-2004-02-009: Assurance Continuity: CCRA Requirements. In accordance with those requirements, the IAR describes the changes made to BlackBerry® Smartphone Version 4.6.1 and 4.7.0 (the maintained Target of Evaluation), the evidence updated as a result of the changes and the security impact of the changes.
Description of Changes to the TOE
The following characterizes the changes implemented in the BlackBerry® Smartphone Versions 4.6.1 and 4.7.1. For each change, it was verified that there were no required changes to the security functional requirements in the ST, and thorough functional and regression testing was conducted by the developer to ensure that the assurance in the Target of Evaluation (TOE) was maintained. The changes in the BlackBerry® Smartphone Versions 4.6.1 and 4.7.1 comprise bug fixes.
Description of Changes to the IT Environment
Changes to the underlying IT environment are permissible under assurance continuity provided that they do not change the certified TOE. Research In Motion Limited subjected the TOE to complete regression testing on all platforms. Changes to the IT environments hardware are:
- BlackBerry® Smartphone Version 4.6.1 Bundle 424 executing on the BlackBerry CurveTM 8520;
- BlackBerry® Smartphone Version 4.6.1 Bundle 411 executing on the BlackBerry CurveTM 8520;
- BlackBerry® Smartphone Version 4.6.1 Bundle 409 executing on the BlackBerry CurveTM 8520; and
- BlackBerry® Smartphone Version 4.7.1 Bundle 77 executing on the BlackBerry TourTM 9630.
Affected Developer Evidence
Modifications to the product necessitated changes to a subset of the developer evidence that was previously submitted for the TOE. The set of affected developer evidence was identified in the IAR.
All changes to the TOE were bug fixes. Through functional and regression testing of the BlackBerry® Smartphone Versions 4.6.1 and 4.7.1 assurance gained in the original TOE certification was maintained. As all of the changes to the TOE have been classified as minor, it is the conclusion of the CB that the maintained TOE is appropriate for assurance continuity and re-evaluation is not required.
- Assurance Continuity: CCRA Requirements, CCIMB-2004-02-009, version 1.0, February 2004 - PDF (220KB) (* Official Languages Notice)
- Technical Oversight for Assurance Continuity of a Certified TOE, version 1.2, October 2005 - PDF (143KB)
- Certification Report EAL2+ Evaluation of Research in Motion Limited Blackberry® Wireless Handheld Software Version 4.1.0