Mission, Vision and Values
To provide and protect information of national interest through leading-edge technology, in synergy with our partners.
Safeguarding Canada's security through information superiority.
- Operating scrupulously within the laws of Canada. Every employee, observing this value: Considers and follows relevant laws when taking action or making decisions. When in doubt, seeks advice and guidance from experts (e.g., legal services, access to information and privacy) to identify the course of action that is most consistent with the law. Respects the law and the obligation to maintain the oath of secrecy and high standards of security.
- Believing in each other's ability to contribute to our vision and mission, and respecting the talents of all our employees. Treating all employees — regardless of level, occupation and location — with equal respect and dignity. Every employee, observing this value: Recognizes and supports everyone's ability to contribute to CSEC's vision, respecting the diversity of all employees' attributes and talents. Creates a supportive environment, enabling others to feel confident about their contributions and encouraging them to be self-starting and innovative. Seeks to understand and balance the competing demands between work and personal life.
- Always acting ethically, reliably and forthrightly. Assuming responsibility for actions taken and decisions made. Every employee, observing this value: Deals honestly and openly with people both inside and outside CSEC. Agrees on a desired outcome — through consultation with co-workers and clients — and works diligently to achieve it. Respects the confidentiality and privacy of information. Accepts accountability for actions and outcomes without passing blame.
- Everyone working together as partners to achieve our vision through an integrated process and clearly defined goals, roles and responsibilities. Every employee, observing this value: Provides clear communication and support to enable others to achieve higher common goals. Puts team performance first by supporting a common vision and putting the desired outcome ahead of personal gain. Realizes that the shared knowledge of individuals with different backgrounds is key to developing effective solutions and strategies. Listens to others and willingly shares needed information, treating the opinions and concerns of others with respect. Builds partnerships both inside and outside of government, convincing others of the advantages of working together toward a common objective.
- Consistently producing high quality work for all business activities while setting a standard for others to follow. Operating in a manner that complements the standards of specific professions and reinforces CSEC's values. Every employee, observing this value: Applies or interprets rules and regulations responsibly by understanding their general intent and by bringing any that are in need of review/revision to the attention of the responsible parties. Consistently takes a stand for the right thing to do — despite opposition from others — but knows when to compromise and set aside differences for the common good of CSEC. Produces quality work — as defined with the client — that is clear, accurate and precise, while, at the same time, continuously striving for improvement. Identifies obstacles to the delivery of results, solving problems as they arise or making the appropriate persons aware when assistance is needed. Accepts ultimate responsibility for his/her own continuing professional development and draws upon relevant learning opportunities and resources available through CSEC. Helps set performance standards and ensures their common understanding and consistent interpretation. Employs performance standards to make decisions objectively and openly, and to encourage consistency in dealings with others.
- Anticipating, understanding and responding appropriately to client needs. Striving to meet — if not exceed — CSEC's quality service standards. Every employee, observing this value: Establishes and maintains strategic partnerships with other CSEC employees to deliver quality products and services. Knows when to say "no" to clients or co-workers in a manner consistent with CSEC's values. Focuses on the development of products and services that take advantage of diverse and changing technology. Anticipates client needs and responds appropriately.
- Developing new ways of understanding situations, solving problems and creating opportunities. Every employee, observing this value: Researches and develops new ideas and/or concepts, challenging assumptions and the status quo when necessary, to improve work methods and solve common problems. Engages others in the thinking process (e.g., asking what if, undertaking option analysis, etc.) to encourage and assist them in finding solutions to problems or improving work methods. Supports calculated risk-taking and applies best practices and lessons learned. Identifies and capitalizes on opportunities in new business segments to revitalise or abandon markets or programs as appropriate.
- Date modified: